Early Church History

Img951353
In the years 1788 and 1789 Bishop Francis Asbury, the great Methodist Circuit Rider, came to Kingston Parish in what was then Gloucester County. He visited the home of Armistead Billups and introduced Methodism. A group of followers soon organized and began services in private homes. This group was named Billups and in the 1820’s constructed a building about two miles from the present Salem Church. The first church was called Billups Meeting House.

Gloucester and Mathews were on the same circuit in the early years. The churches survived even though visits of the Circuit Riders were infrequent. In 1843 the church acquired a new site, constructed a new church and changed its name to Salem. It was a one room structure which is a part of the present sanctuary.

Church History

Less than forty years later the building was again inadequate. Under the leadership of the pastor, the Rev. D. G. C. Butts, the sanctuary was extended and the wings were added in 1892. More land was acquired at this time to increase the size of the grounds.

The educational section of the building was added in 1929. Miss Lillie Williams willed a sum of money to Salem for a steeple and bell. In 1967 the steeple and electric chimes were completed.

The fellowship hall and kitchen were built in 1971. The vestibule was added to the front the church in 1979.

Additional land was donated by Mrs. Inez Morgan on one side and land to the rear of church donated by the Evans family has made it possible for Salem to have a spacious parking area.
On October 21, 2007, a New Fellowship Hall was dedicated.

The membership of Salem today is approximately three hundred.